[SCI] New SCI Jazz Composition Award Submissions Open!

Wed May 16 11:33:02 EDT 2018

Dear SCI colleagues,

I encourage you to apply for the new SCI Jazz Composition Award here: http://www.newmusicengine.org/categories/SCI-Jazz-Composition-Award/index.html. We have been in discussions to reach out to more jazz-centric composers. This award is one way we are working to reach out to our colleagues on the jazz side of the spectrum. Please share widely with your jazz colleagues who may not be members of SCI, as well as any students who are writing in a jazz genre. This specific contest is for compositions for standard jazz big band.

Any questions, please let me know here: scijazzcontest at gmail.com<mailto:scijazzcontest at gmail.com>

Full details below. Receipt deadline is July 15, 2018.

2018 SCI Jazz Composition Competition

Society of Composers, Inc. is pleased to announce the first annual Jazz Composition Competition. One first prize will be awarded to a composer.

First prize: $500.00

To Qualify

All entrants must be SCI members at the time of submission. Join SCI at http://www.societyofcomposers.org/join.

Submitted works must have been composed in the past 5 years from the submission deadline. Only original works for jazz big band are eligible; arrangements are not eligible. The work submitted must have not received an award in a national or international composition contest.

To Apply

Submit both a score (PDF) and a recording (mp3) of one work composed for standard jazz band instrumentation [5 saxophones (with or without standard doubles), 4 trumpets/flugelhorns, 4 trombones (3 tenor plus bass), piano, guitar, bass, drum set]. The recording submitted can be of a studio session, live performance, or sequenced format. Live or studio recording preferred.

Scores should be free of identifying information, using only a title and pseudonym marked on the score.

Receipt Deadline: July 15, 2018, 11:59pm

For additional information or questions, contact the contest coordinator, Dan Cavanagh, at scijazzcontest at gmail.com<mailto:scijazzcontest at gmail.com>.

Winners will be notified by October 1, 2018

—
Dan Cavanagh
Interim Chair, Department of Music
Associate Professor of Music
Chair-Elect, UT System Faculty Advisory Council
http://www.uta.edu/music
cavanagh at uta.edu<mailto:cavanagh at uta.edu>
(817) 272-3471