[scimembers] Graduate study in Brooklyn

Fri Oct 5 11:32:42 EDT 2018

Dear colleagues,

Greetings.  I’m writing to invite applications to our four graduate
programs at CUNY/Brooklyn College.

- MFA in Sonic Arts

- MFA in Media Scoring

- MM in Composition

- PhD in Music Composition (via the CUNY Graduate Center)

Details are below.  For further information, please contact Douglas Geers:
dgeers at brooklyn.cuny.edu.

*Graduate studies for composers*

*BROOKLYN COLLEGE, New York City*

*SONIC ARTS MFA:*

This 60-credit program is a "big tent" approach to electronic music/music
technology, serving composers for whom technology is intrinsic to their
work.  We are open to all styles of music, including electroacoustic,
experimental improvisation, artsy pop and hip hop, etc.  Students take four
semesters of composition lessons and choose courses from a flexible menu
that includes both experimental topics and concrete production skills.
Course topics include recording, mixing, signal processing, sound
synthesis, understanding and building hardware audio circuits, interactive
music with Arduino and Max/MSP, and more. Our goal is to graduate skilled
composers who also have commercially-marketable skills.

http://www.brooklyn.cuny.edu/web/academics/centers/ccm/education/sonicarts.php

http://www.brooklyn.cuny.edu/web/academics/schools/mediaarts/departments/music/faculty/sonic-arts.php

*MEDIA SCORING MFA:*

This 60-credit program combines advanced knowledge with practical
experience in the production of music and sound for media, including film,
television, video games, animation, and other commercial applications.
Areas of study include music composition, conducting, orchestration, music
supervision, music business, music editing, sound design, and recording.
Media Scoring students collaborate directly on visual media projects as
part of their curriculum. Students have the opportunity to work one-on-one
with faculty as well as in small group classes, developing the knowledge
and skills to master the scoring process as it exists today.

http://www.brooklyn.cuny.edu/web/academics/centers/ccm/education/mediascoring.php

http://www.brooklyn.cuny.edu/web/academics/schools/mediaarts/departments/music/faculty/media-scoring.php

- Both MFAs include coursework at our Feirstein School of Cinema facility
on the Steiner Studios film lot in Brooklyn. This features 68,000 square
feet of work spaces, plus hundreds of film-making students with whom to
collaborate.

- Both MFAs include added fees that make the cost significantly higher than
standard Brooklyn College tuition, although still much less expensive than
other MFA programs in NYC.

- A number of small scholarships are available.

*MM in COMPOSITION:*

- This 30-credit program is a more traditional Music Composition degree,
although students may also choose to take courses in the MFA programs.
Faculty include Tania León, Jason Eckardt, Douglas Geers, and, several
other amazing composers:

http://www.brooklyn.cuny.edu/web/academics/schools/mediaarts/departments/music/faculty/composition.php

*PhD/DMA in COMPOSITION at CUNY GRADUATE CENTER*

- The CUNY Grad Center has 5-year scholarships for everyone we accept into
our doctoral program.  Usually 2-4 students per year enter the program and
1-2 of them also get a five-year stipend to work as teaching assistants.
Faculty include Tania León, Jason Eckardt, Suzanne Farrin, Douglas Geers,
and others.

https://gc.cuny.edu/Page-Elements/Academics-Research-Centers-Initiatives/Doctoral-Programs/Music-(Ph-D-D-M-A-)/Faculty

--

Douglas Geers

Associate Professor of Music

Director, Center for Computer Music

Director, MFA program in Sonic Arts

Brooklyn College

City University of New York

www.bc-ccm.org

www.dgeers.com

“The best way to predict the future is to invent it.”  (Alan Kay)